Wendy has been working at Children’s World for 11 years, as a Teacher’s Assistant and as a Head Teacher in the Kindergarten, as well as the afternoon program and the summer program. She has also served as the Afternoon Program Director and Site Director. Currently Wendy is the Head Teacher in the Kindergarten classroom at the Beach Street site. Before coming to Children’s World, Wendy worked at Arcadia Montessori in Phoenix, Arizona for two and a half years, where she ran the afternoon program with children ages 14 months to two and a half years old. While there she developed an art program, lead outings with the children, trained new employees and also served as an Assistant Teacher in the Preschool classroom. She then moved to Flagstaff, Arizona and continued her experience in the Montessori School setting at Discovery, Cedar and University Montessori Schools. There, she substitute taught at all three schools in the toddler through first grade classrooms. She then spent time as an Assistant Preschool Teacher at the Cedar Montessori School. Before leaving Flagstaff, Wendy also enjoyed working as a nanny for two special boys for one year.
Recent trainings include:
- Early Words Presented by the Child Care Division of The Job Council, 2005
- Child Care Health Consultation Presented by the Child Care Division of The Job Council, 2005
- Exploring a Pedagogy of Listening and Relationships A four day workshop on interpretations and fundamentals of the schools in Reggio Emilia, Italy, and introduction to the Opal School philosophy in Portland, Oregon. Offered by Portland Children’s Museum and Portland State University. Sponsored by Opal School and PAEYC, 2004
- Northwest Montessori Conference, Eugene, Oregon, 2003
- Certification of 16 classroom hours studying Parent/Child Education, Parent/Teacher Communication and Domestic Violence Education Presented by the Professional and Community Development Program Ashland, Oregon
- CPR and First Aid Training, Food Handlers Permit Recognizing and Reporting Child Abuse Workshop Presented by Oregon Child Care Division
- Study and Training in Self-Awareness Counseling and Emotional Responsibility 1997-2005
Outside of the classroom, Wendy loves gardening, knitting, walking with her dog and friends, bike-riding, jewelry making and working on her house.